Sunday, October 28, 2007

A Death in the Family

My partner's grandpa died yesterday. Obviously this is a rough time.

I must confess that my skills as a partner on this are sucking right now. I don't know how to do this. How to be there for her in a situation like this because it's very new to me.
So we got fancy chocolate cupcakes today & that was a start. And I found this pic.

Anyway...

I wanted to turn y'all on to a great blog I was told about recently. It's What About Our Daughters and it's basically about stopping the negative images of Black women in the media. It's worth a look.

Also check out Newspaper Rock. A blog about Native Americans in pop culture.

Peace y'all!

~F

2 comments:

Diane J Standiford said...

My condolences to your partner and you. My partner of 28yrs lost her beloved father and mother within 2 years '04,'06---I have been through many family deaths(big family) she has not. You hold her, you let her talk if she wants to talk, let her be quiet if she needs that. Find out what she needs. Feel her pain, help her bear it and tell her you will. We framed photos of "our" parents, talk of fun times we had with them, discuss spirtuality, laugh at fond memories; and remember that death is what makes life so precious. Those we love are always around us, even after their shells are gone, their spirit lives on.

FQM said...

diane- thank you! BTW I've been checking out Suze Orman. Very helpful. She makes me feel empowered!
~F